Tuesday, February 11, 2014

"You're going to start doing what!?"

When I decided I would start to cloth diaper Peeka most people thought I was crazy. I guess nobody knew why I was trading the life of simple easy disposable diapers to be constantly doing laundry and having to scrap poop out into the toilet constantly. I don't blame them. I had no idea what cloth diapering would be like until I did a little research.
When I say "a little research" I would be lying. I spent countless hours watching cloth diaper reviews and learning what AIO, AI2, pocket, prefolds and wet bags were. I literally had no idea cloth diapers came in so many different shapes, sizes, colors and styles. It was quite overwhelming for me being a first time and a new stay at home mom.
I was a little grossed out with pocket diapers. I honestly couldn't imagine myself sticking my hand into a dirty poopy diaper to get an insert out. I know that some brands you can just shake out the insert but I know I would shake mine onto the floor or something horrible. Plus, I wasn't ready to pay $20+ on one diaper that only got one use before needing to be washed. Though these are some of the most popular I am just not mentally ready for pocket diapers.
bumGenius One-Size Snap Closure Cloth Diaper 4.0 
Thirsties One Size Pocket Diaper Snap

So when I came across the Hybrid Diaper I was very very interested. The idea of a Hybrid or All In Two diaper is that you can reuse the shell/cover multiple times while changing the insert as it gets soiled. That means less laundry, less touching "ick", a longer lifetime for diapers and my favorite they are cheaper!
The two hybrid systems I looked at was the Flip by the same makers of bumGenius and the GroVia Hybrid diapers.

GroVia Cloth Diaper Shell - Hook & Loop
Flip: 1 One-Size Snap Closure Diaper Cover & 1 One-Size Organic Insert
The Flip diapers are a great Hybrid. They come with a One Sized snap closure diaper cover that is waterproof and breathable. The inside of the cover can be wiped out and and new insert can be put in. Each of the flip diapers come with a one size insert. These inserts get folded down to fit the size of the diaper you are using. You may also use any other insert you like in these covers. I like that you get one cover and one insert with each diaper and that they are the cheapest of the major hybrid diapers. I don't like that the inserts can move and bunch while your little one moves through out the day. Also, the flip disposable inserts (a major plus for the hybrid line) are just one flat pad-like insert. They just sit in the cover and can move around.
The GroVia Hybrids are my favorite. You need to purchase the shell and "soaker" inserts separately unlike the Flip. I really like that the soakers snap into the shell so you know that no matter how much your baby squirms the soaker is where it needs to be. I also love how GroVia shells come in Hook & Loop (Velcro) or Snaps. The GroVia is also a much more trim diaper, which for my skinny tall girl these fit very well.

After thinking long and hard we ended up going with the GroVia Hybrid Diapers.

I bought 13 shells and 24 GroVia Organic Cotton Soaker Pads - 2 Pack that were used from a wonder lady who's boys are no longer in diapers and bought 6 new GroVia Stay Dry Soaker Pad (2-pack) and 3 new GroVia Hybrid Snap Shell Diapers. After a day of use we had 3 pees and 3 poopy diapers that all stayed contained! Even after 2 two hour naps with our heavy wetter she stayed dry.  I am very impressed.

I will report back on how our night goes with the Stay Dry Soakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment